How to Lower Your Commercial Vehicle Insurance Premiums
Posted on: 11Feb,2016
For many businesses large or small, commercial vehicle insurance is one of the largest expenses that these companies have to deal with on a regular basis. Whenever you are shopping for this type of insurance, you have to find the best value for the least amount of money possible. So a common goal where this is concerned is cost-effectiveness or being able to reduce the cost of your premiums in order to provide you with immediate savings.
Fortunately, there are a number of ways that you can lower your premiums. So here are some helpful tips for you to consider. For instance, if your business is primarily seasonal in nature, paying for seasonal coverage could save you money in the long-run. It would also eliminate breaks in your commercial vehicle coverage and reduce your costs in the process.
Types of Discounts You could Qualify for
Depending on the type of business you own and operate, you could be eligible for a number of different discounts which could save you money. Just one qualified discount could save you 5 cents on the dollar. Although this may not seem like a significant amount initially, when you calculate the savings over the long-term, it could be substantial. Here are three discounts that you may be able to qualify for:
• Experienced Business Discount – individuals who need business auto, commercial truck, or tow truck insurance coverage can qualify for discounts if they have been in business over a certain period of time.
• Experienced Commercial Driver Discount – customers have a commercial CDL and who need commercial or tow truck insurance coverage can save as much as 20%, depending on the insurance company you are dealing with.
• Package Discounts – in some cases, business customers who have a business owner’s or an in-force general liability policy may be able to qualify for a package discount of up to 15%. Again, the amount of the discount depends on the insurance company that you are dealing with.
You may be eligible for a number of other discounts so it is important to inquire about these whenever you are discussing your commercial vehicle insurance needs with an agent or company representative.
Helpful Tips that could Help You save Money
In addition to the discounts discussed above, there are several other ways that you can lower the cost of your insurance premiums. Here are some helpful tips to consider:
• Increase the amount of your deductibles – just like with personal vehicle insurance, your premiums will cost less if you choose a higher deductible amount. Be sure you can afford the amount of the deductible that you select because you will have to pay this out of your own pocket should you be involved in an accident.
• Insure other vehicles under the same policy – if you insure your own vehicles along with any commercial vehicles under the same policy, this is an ideal way to get additional discounts and lower the cost of your premium.
• Pay your premium by EFT (electronic funds transfer) – all insurance companies prefer that you pay your premium by using an EFT plan. You can have your premium deducted directly from your company checking account. In most cases, your insurance provider will waive the check cashing fees that are added to your premium.
• Pay your premium in full – many companies will offer you a sizeable discount (up to 15% or more) if you pay your entire insurance premium up front instead of making payments on a monthly basis. This is commonly referred to as a “Paid-in-Full discount.”
All of the above will enable you to save money by lowering the cost of your commercial vehicle insurance premium. If you are currently insured, you might want to sit down with your agent to discuss other ways of lowering the cost of your premium.
It is also important that you sit down once a year and conduct a review of your commercial vehicle insurance premiums. Most companies do this on an annual basis. However, whenever there are any significant changes to the business operations or the company itself, you may want to conduct a review at that point in time as well.